Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Note on Student Loans

 A few weeks ago I had wrote a post on the current state of interest rates in the student loan market, and right now I wanted to do a follow-up post on that. We are quickly approaching the July 1 deadline for student loan rates (from the government) to all jump to 6.8% if Congress does not act by then.

There are several plans outlined, but I wanted to highlight Elizabeth Warren's plan in this post. I recently came across a petition for supporting Elizabeth Warren's plan started by her. At the time of writing this, the petition has over 450,000 (!) signatures on it. While I may not fully agree with her plan, I think her method of attacking it and bringing the issue out into the open is the important part here.

If we can show Congress how important this issue really is by getting as many signatures as possible on this petition, I think it could really spark a debate or at least get the news talking more about this. I know that sometimes online petitions have a bad rap, and many times they are ignored - but in this case Senator Warren plans to deliver the petition to Congress.

You can sign the petition right here:
http://pac.petitions.moveon.org/sign/give-students-the-same


Photo Credits for this post: Mother Jones

0 comments:

Post a Comment